Who we are
Ultra United / ‘Ultra UTD.’ is a football-based journalist website which focuses on the stories from around the world that help us fall in love with the beautiful game. Official web address: https://ultrautd.com/. In this Policy section, this property is referred to as a “platform“. When we refer to the “Service” in this notice, this means the provision of the content on the platforms to the user.
This Privacy Notice explains why we collect information concerning the users of the platforms (each a “user“, “you” or “your”), what type of information we collect and how we use that information. This Privacy Notice applies to any such information collected via any platform which displays it (or a link to it). Additional information for users located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), Switzerland and the UK about their rights and other information can be found in the Annex to this Privacy Notice.
This notice has been last updated in December 2020.
What data we collect
When a user interacts with any of the platforms, we may collect certain data about that user. This data falls into 2 broad categories: (i) data about a user themselves, which the user gives us; and (ii) data about the user, or the way a user interacts with the platforms or Services, which is collected by us electronically (collectively “User Information“). We collect the following User Information in accordance with applicable law:
- information that users provide to us, directly or via a third-party registration service for the purpose of registering with us or our group companies;
- a user’s entry details for a competition or promotion;
- information users provide to us when users interact with our customer service team;
- information users provide when users participate in our surveys or marketing promotions;
- information from a user’s social media profile to populate their profile on our platforms, and where the user chooses to register with us using their social media login(s);
- information users provide relating to reviews or ratings, favourite sports, tournaments, teams, events or personalities, and/or other subjects of interest to sports fans;
- information about user interactions with our platforms, and any direct communications the user receives from us (such as emails);
- device IDs or unique identifiers, location data, device and software characteristics (such as type and configuration), connection information, statistics on page views, referral URLs, ad data, website and app navigation, IP address and standard web log information;
- the language choices made by users in relation to their use of the Service, which may include information relating to their location when using the Service;
- the details of any third-party digital property (such as a website) that referred or linked a user to the platforms, together with information about how a user interacted with any online and email marketing campaigns related to the Service;
- information and communications on forums on the platforms, including chat rooms and message boards; and
- information about how users behave on our platforms (such as the type of content they view, how frequently, at what times, etc.).
How & why we use the data we collect
We use the User Information for three main purposes: (i) to operate and improve the platforms and to ensure that we can provide the Services; (ii) to optimise the content on the platforms; and (iii) send marketing and show advertising to our users. More specifically, we will use the User Information to do one or more of the following things:
(a) administer our platforms;
(b) provide the Service requested by the user;
(c) improve the browsing experience by personalizing the Service to the user;
(d) recommend goods, services or promotions which may be of interest to the user or contact users in order to conduct market research (with the consent of the user, where necessary). For these purposes, we will create a profile about your interests and preferences which will enable us to increase our advertising and communication relevance;
(e) prevent, detect and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities, including fraud, cheating, and money laundering and enforce our terms;
(f) to notify users about changes to our Service;
(g) send out email alerts, text message notifications or device notifications in relation to our Service;
(h) send users prizes won via the platforms, and supply services purchased via our platforms;
(i) send notices and invoices to users, and collect payments from them;
(j) provide third parties with statistical and other information about our users as required to operate the platforms or Services;
(k) deal with enquiries and complaints;
(l) provide our commercial partners with information about users’ use of co-branded services, including historical use data;
(m) comply with any legal or regulatory requirements and otherwise respond to any relevant regulator or competent authority as required by law;
(n) understand user trends and patterns
The platforms we operate are designed to attract as many users as possible. In our case, our users are typically sports fans or interested in sports news and other sports-related content. The creation of this content, and the work that goes into ensuring that the platforms continue to be class-leading digital sports destinations, are funded by advertising revenues which we receive as a result of showing users advertising or other sponsored or branded content on the platforms. We have a legitimate interest in ensuring that we deliver this advertising in a responsible way, and in allowing us to deliver it to the users most likely to be interested in it, and in doing so we employ User Information, such as the user’s location, how the user engages with the platforms and the content that the user views. More specifically, in relation to advertising:
- we employ User Information to select and deliver advertising that appears on our platforms, and to allow third parties (such as ad servers) to do this on our behalf;
- we employ User Information to select and deliver advertising to users based on the way the user has interacted with our platforms, and to share that information with third parties to allow them to do so;
- we may pass User Information to service providers, such as Oracle or Google, to allow them to provide services on our behalf or to partner with us in selecting and serving ads for our advertising partners;
- we may pass User Information to advertisers or third-party publishers to allow us to report on the advertising displayed to our users and how users interacted with it; and
- we will not employ User Information to make qualitative judgments about individual users, nor make automated decisions in relation to users which could have a significant or legal effect on them, nor will we knowingly engage any third party to do so.
On the platforms, we use the following types of cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies – These cookies are essential to enable the user to navigate around the platform securely and to provide the user with Services they have specifically requested.
- Functionality cookies – These cookies enhance the functionality of the platforms by storing user preferences. For instance, they can remember your name and location, if you provide this information, and the types of content you are interested in.
- Performance cookies – These cookies improve the performance of the platforms. For instance, they help pages load quicker.
- Analytics cookies – We may use third party analytics services such as Google Analytics and others. Your IP address and other information will be collected by automated means to evaluate your use of the platform, compile reports on platform activity, identify user patterns and provide related services. For more information about how Google Analytics uses your information please click here. In addition, authentication and tracking logs will be used to compile user statistics.
- Targeting/advertising – These cookies help us serve relevant advertisements and implement frequency capping procedures.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can change your browser settings to prevent that, or opt-out as explained below. You may not be able to take full advantage of the platforms or use certain functions if you disable cookies.
Disclosure of User Information
We may share User Information with any member of the FootballCo Group where this is necessary for business administration purposes in accordance with applicable law. We may also allow other members of the FootballCo Group to contact users with relevant offers, competitions and latest news (where they have consented to doing so, if required by applicable laws).
We may also share User Information with selected third parties including:
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors in connection with providing Services to our users;
- advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to the user;
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of the platforms;
- if we decide to sell the business operating the Service or it is integrated with another business, we may disclose User Information to our advisers and any prospective buyer’s advisers as well as to the new owners of the business;
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share a user’s personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms; and
- in order to prevent fraud, cheating and money laundering we may disclose User Information and betting and gaming history to third parties including, but not limited to, any relevant regulator, gaming and sporting bodies, financial institutions and law enforcement agencies or any other body that deals with the investigation of alleged offences.
Where relevant, we will disclose User Information and anonymized information associated with a user’s use of and interaction with the platforms to the partner on whose behalf we operate that platform, for the purposes of marketing and advertising, and to promote their own products and services.
Your right to opt-out
If you would like us to stop sending you marketing communications you may use the unsubscribe link in our marketing communications. You can also send us an email at [email protected] to unsubscribe from our marketing communications.
If you, or another user of your device, wish to withdraw your cookies consent at any time, you have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying your browser setting. You may also go to www.allaboutcookies.org or www.youronlinechoices.eu if you are in Europe, or to www.aboutads.info/choices if you are anywhere else for instructions on how to disable cookies. You may opt-out from Google Analytics here. In some instances, when you opt-out, a new cookie (Opt-Out-Cookie) is placed in your web browser. This tells the third party provider to cease data collection from your browser and prevents advertisements from being delivered to you.
We understand that the security of your User Information is important to you. When handling User Information, security is paramount and we seek to ensure that User Information is protected through appropriate technical and organisational measures.
We use reasonable administrative, logical and physical controls, including password protection, to safeguard your User Information against loss, theft and unauthorised access, use or modification. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your User Information in accordance with applicable law, we cannot guarantee the security of your User Information.
Parents and guardians
Our platforms are not directly intended for children and should not be used by them unless supervised by a parent or guardian.
We reserve the right to change the practices described in this Privacy Notice at any time by posting an updated Privacy Notice. Please check here periodically. If we amend this notice, your continued use of the platforms will amount to your acknowledgement of the amended notice. In order to comply with data privacy regulations in the EEA, Switzerland and the UK, we provide additional information to our EEA, Switzerland and UK based users.
“Personal data” is information about you (a “data subject”) the use of which is governed by applicable data protection laws. It will include any information from which you can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as your name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or other information about your identity. Most User Information will constitute personal data.
How long do we keep data?
We keep your data for only as long as required to provide you with the necessary Services and to carry out the processing set out in this notice, and in line with its obligation under applicable law. This means that we will generally not keep your personal information for longer than six years following your last interaction with us, and the retention period will often be shorter. For example, we may keep your information for marketing purposes for a period of 3 years following the termination or expiry of our relationship, or your last contact with us.
Data subjects may ask us for a copy of their information, to correct it, erase it or to transfer it to other organisations at their request. Data subjects also have rights to object to some processing including profiling and, where we have asked for their consent to process the data subject’s data, to withdraw this consent. In particular, data subjects have the right to object to direct marketing at any time. Where a data subject withdraws their consent, this will not affect the legitimacy of the processing conducted prior to your request. Where we process data because we have a legitimate interest in doing so (as explained above), the data subject has a right to object to this. Where we make a decision based solely on automated processing which significantly affects the data subject, he or she may have the right to contest the decision, express his or her point of view and obtain human intervention.
These rights may be limited in some situations – for example, where we can demonstrate that we have a legal requirement to process your data.
Please use the contact information set out in our Contact section.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
In particular reference to feature images used in connection with any content pertaining to Ultra United or any subsidiary (already in existence or in affiliation with any new businesses thereafter), Ultra United (‘Ultra UTD’) reserves no rights to re-distribute or utilise these images in a way in which the original creator / publisher would not be comfortable with.
It is our intention that such images are used for purely decorative purposes to simply provide a feature image for an article and no other purpose. We also fully credit every creator we can, by either including a link to the original image or explaining how it was found and which website seems to have published it first. If this is incorrect or if the original creator can prove their ownership of the work (and does not want this to be published on Ultra United in the way that it is), we are happy to accommodate their wishes. If this means to more explicitly state their ownership of the image in the description, or to take down the content as a whole to preserve their copyright ownership of the image, then we will do so. It is never our intention to infringe on anybody else’s work in a negative way, and we will do all that is necessary to preserve and respect the work of others.
If there are any issues here, please Contact Us to resolve or talk through any potential claims.
Amazon Affiliate Information
In accordance with the official guide to becoming an official Amazon Affiliate Partner, Ultra United (‘Ultra UTD’) have contained a number of affiliate links through the website. However, we make it clear which articles contain the link via a notice by the article’s feature image. The only exception is out ‘This Weeks Picks’ selection found on the home page and side bar. Any other outbound links are assumed to not be a part of the official Amazon programme.